Pizza?
Granted, in CT, near NY, just up the road from New Haven, we were aware we had it pretty good in the pizza department. But, that just meant we were more gourmet, right?
No.
First, instead of doing what absolutely everyone else in the country does and use Mozzarella for the cheese, in St. Louis, they use Provel, a processed cheese made with cheddar, swiss, and provolone. It is... different. An acquired taste, many say. Or, as some say, "nasty." Even "tastes like feet smell." "it's best at sticking to your teeth like adhesive caulk" Now, clearly some people like it. But some people believe in the Loch Ness Monster. We're just sayin.
No, that is not a slight layer of topping on a plate. There is a pizza crust under there. All half centimeter or so of it.
Ok, so thin crust is in, right? Well, it's more the flavor. As in, devoid of. And the texture, so... like flat without being crisp. Hence the nickname for St. Louis pizza:
Snot on a cracker.
That sounds *really* gross! On all fronts. I guess you'll have to make do with frozen pizzas - unless they have some magic to make those taste like SNOC too?
ReplyDeleteActually, I'll probably have to get back to making pizza dough again. We tried it a few times in CT, worked out OK. May be more a matter of survival here, though :-). Of course, there are MANY MANY other food options out this way.
ReplyDeleteSorry, checking out your blog for the first time. This is great. Pizza is a very interesting food for people once they move from their "home towns". I didn't realize how lucky we were in CT to have access to so many different styles of pizza crusts; thin, thick, deep pan, flat, etc). The funny thing is when I moved to CA, the pizza here in San Diego is horrible. They claim to have variety but you reallllllly need to shop around. Settling on a few favorites but whenever I go back to CT, pizza is one of the first foods I seek. Interesting, huh. Pizza and lousy Chinese Buffets!
ReplyDelete